Prep 1 min
Cook 35 mins
from breadworld.com prep time unknown
- 5 3⁄4-6 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 package fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- herbs or seasoning salt or mixed pepper
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, cheese, undissolved yeast, and salt.
- Heat water and olive oil until very warm (120 to 130oF).
- Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.
- (With RapidRise Yeast, cover kneaded dough and let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Proceed with recipe.) Punch dough down.
- Remove dough to lightly floured surface; divide in half.
- Roll each half to 16 x 12-inch rectangle.
- With sharp knife, cut each rectangle into 16 (1-inch) strips.
- Holding ends of each strip, twist six to eight times.
- Place sticks, slightly apart, on 2 large greased baking sheets.
- Cover; let rest 15 minutes or until risen slightly.
- Brush breadsticks with egg whites.
- Sprinkle with herbs, seasoning salt, or mixed peppers.
- Bake at 400oF for 20 minutes or until golden, switching positions of sheets halfway through baking for even browning.
- Remove from sheets; let cool on wire racks.