Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Originally from "Sunset" magazine.
- 2 (1 lb) packages frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 lb dry salami, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cooked, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb dry coppa, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb fontina or 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 onion, grilled
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Pat loaves together.
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough into a 12" x18" rectangle.
- Garlic Oil: Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil with 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed and 1/2 teaspoon each dry basil leaves, dry oregano leaves and dry thyme leaves. Brush surface with 2 tablespoons garlic oil.
- Cover half dough lengthwise with overlapping layers of salami, ham, coppa, cheese, onions and peppers.
- Lift plain half of dough over filling (if dough sticks, loosen with a spatula). Press edges firmly together to seal.
- Using 2 wide spatulas, transfer packet to an oiled 12" x17" baking sheet; tuck ends of dough under.
- Brush with remaining oil.
- Let rise in a warm place until puffy, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until richly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut sandwich lengthwise in half then crosswise into 3" slices.
- Grilled Onion: In an 8-10" frying pan over medium high heat, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar and 1 large onion, sliced. Stir often, until onion begins to brown, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.