Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
The Perfect Scoop
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped (use top quality with at least 30% cocoa solids)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rub hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to remove as much of the papery skin as possible; then finely chop them in a food processor or blender; set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk with 1 cup cream, sugar, and salt.
- Once warm, remove from heat and add in chopped hazelnuts; cover and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Put milk chocolate pieces in a big bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 cup cream in a saucepan until it just begins to boil; pour it over the milk chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth; set a mesh strainer over the top and set aside.
- Pour the hazelnut-infused milk through a strainer into a medium saucepan, squeezing the nuts firmly with your hands to extract as much of the flavorful liquid as possible; discard the hazelnuts.
- Rewarm the hazelnut-infused mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks; slowly pour the warm hazelnut mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the milk chocolate mixture; add the vanilla and stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.