1/5 Photos of Gianduia Sandwich Cookies (Chocolate-Hazelnut)
I was a bit skeptical of this 3-ingredient recipe, but curious enough to try it. This was certainly a case where curiosity paid off--these are wonderful little cookies! The recipe was published in Food & Wine's 6th edition of "Best of the Best-The best recipes from the 25 best cookbooks of the year". It was taken from Rozanne Gold's "Desserts 1-2-3". (Be sure to use the self-rising cake flour called for, not self-rising all-purpose flour.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Mix 1/2 cup Nutella and the egg with an electric mixer until well combined. Slowly add 1 cup of flour until a wet dough is formed. Transfer the dough to a flour-dusted board.
- 3Knead gently, adding a bit more flour if necessary; dough will be sticky. Roll dough into 18 balls, flouring your hands as needed to make rolling easier. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, several inches apart.
- 4Bake 12 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Split cookies in half horizontally using a sharp, serrated knife (see note below). Spread bottom with 1 teaspoon Nutella, replace top and press firmly. Let cool completely. Store in a tightly covered tin.
- 5Note on flour: I didn't have self-rising cake flour, so I mixed 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt with regular cake flour before adding it.
- 6Note on splitting the cookies: I had a problem with a couple of the cookie tops breaking a bit when I first started cutting them. I then tried it this way and had no more problems: turn the cookie on its side and carefully score the entire outside edge while turning it like a wheel, then gently cut the rest of the way through the middle.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gianduia Sandwich Cookies (Chocolate-Hazelnut)
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.0
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.5 mg
- Sodium 99.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 1.9 g