This pie recipe comes from the local paper and "Icebox Pies" by Lauren Chattman. It is a NO-BAKE pie that combines whipped cream and Nutella, the chocolate and hazelnut spread.
- 22 nabisco famous chocolate wafers
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (13 ounce) jar nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Process cookies and nuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add melted butter, sugar, salt and vanilla and pulse to moisten cookie mixture. Press the mixture across the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate, packing it tightly with your fingertips. Bake until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
- Place the nuts in a food processor and chop finely. Set aside. With an electric mixer, whip the cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 of the whipped cream with the Nutella. Stir until smooth. Gently fold Nutella mixture back into the remaining whipped cream. Fold in the reserved hazelnuts. Scrape into prepared pie shell and smooth the top with spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 6 hours.