Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Italian Style Roasted Hazelnut Flavored Brownies.
- 1 1⁄4 cups hazelnuts (about 6 1/4 onces)
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 3 ounces fine-quality milk chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup nutella (chocolate-hazelnut spread available at specialty foods shops and many supermarkets)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- and butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan, knocking out excess flour.
- Toast and skin hazelnuts.
- In a food processor pulse hazelnuts until coarsely ground (bits should be about 1/8 inch).
- Chop chocolates into small pieces and in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolates with butter and Nutella, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat.
- While chocolates are melting, into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and a pinch salt.
- Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture until combined well.
- Add eggs, whisking until mixture is glossy and smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture and hazelnuts until just combined.
- Pour batter into baking pan and bake in middle of oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out with moist crumbs adhering to it.
- Cool brownies completely in pan on a rack and cut into 16 squares.
- Brownies keep, layered between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container at cool room temperature, 5 days.
I've been thinking about making these for quite a while now. Well, I finally got around to it, and am I glad I did. These brownies are moist, chocolatety and full of hazelnuts. They would be wonderful in a sundae, but are just fine as they are, too. The recipe was clear and easy to follow. Thank you very much for posting it, 1Steve.