Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Food Network.com and Giada De Laurentiis.
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cheese, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add the butter.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cheese mixture and butter until combined. Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing only until incorporated and the mixture holds together.
- Place tablespoon-sized balls of the dough on 1 or 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets, tapping the dough down gently with your fingertips. Bake until just beginning to brown at the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Transfer to a serving plate.
Oh WOW these are soooooo good!!! They melt in your mouth and have such great flavor with a little crisp texture!! The pecorino, with its saltiness, really is a wonderful cheese to make crackers with!! The dough is crumbly so you sort of have to mold the balls with your hand but I live in a very dry area so it might have been a flour/humidity thing. They still bake up wonderfully!! These are so fantastic that you want to eat the whole batch!! I will definitely be making these again and serving with my wine and hors d' oeuvres from now on!!! Thanks for posting this one Spongebob!!!
DH made these this morning, and when I first saw him, he was spraying the kitchen with cheesy crumbs, using the electric mixer !! I immediately switched him to the food processor ! It never formed a ball, which he did with his hands. He pinched off 24 balls and flattened them with his hand -- needed to bake for 4 extra minutes. They came out like a fairly thick cookie, (looked much like the photo) and never browned at all. On his subsequent pans, he flattened further, tried the bottom of a glass, but without additional flour, tore. In the end, they were tasty -- but wish DH had checked for a review here ! Thanks, Spongebob, for entering this recipe.