Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
YUMMY.....how good is this. Not your typical Mac and Cheese for sure. Saw this on foodtv and had to try it. Giada rocks!
- butter, for greasing dish
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more
- salt, for pasta water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups packed grated fontina
- 3⁄4 cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup packed grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cooked ham, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain well, but do not rinse.
- Whisk the cream, milk, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Stir in 1 cup Fontina, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, ham, if using, and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the remaining 1 cup Fontina, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup mozzarella in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Made this for a farewell lunch at work. Everyone loved this and requested the recipe. The only things that were done differently is... I only used the whipping cream, just doubled since I left out the milk. I didn't have egg noodles, so I used the macaroni noodles. This is something that I will use often.