Recipe by haircurlgirl
YUMMY.....how good is this. Not your typical Mac and Cheese for sure. Saw this on foodtv and had to try it. Giada rocks!
Top Review by krazynthekitchen
Made this for a farewell lunch at work. Everyone loved this and requested the recipe. The only things that were done differently is... I only used the whipping cream, just doubled since I left out the milk. I didn't have egg noodles, so I used the macaroni noodles. This is something that I will use often.
- butter, for greasing dish
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more
- salt, for pasta water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups packed grated fontina
- 3⁄4 cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup packed grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cooked ham, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain well, but do not rinse.
- Whisk the cream, milk, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Stir in 1 cup Fontina, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, ham, if using, and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the remaining 1 cup Fontina, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup mozzarella in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.