Prep 15 mins
Cook 120 hrs
courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday Italian Episode: Summers in Capri
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use).
- Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith.
- Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher.
- Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 4 days at room temperature.
- Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely. Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.
I used a fifth of 151 vodka and did not remove the pith from the lemons. With one fifth of water added to the sugar resulted in exactly two fifths of limoncello. Because I didn't remove the pith, the limoncello was bitter, but that subsided after about 6 months. You know you have the right proportions of water and alcohol if the limoncello does not freeze in the freezer. If it does, add more alcohol. Serve directly from the freezer.
This recipe rocks!!!