Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Giada De Laurentis. It's a lighter textured sweet potato soup that is both savory and sweet. I did try it with canned sweet potatoes, and that works too. For a half recipe, I used a 29 oz can of "yams" with the liquid and only 2 cups of chicken broth.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 lbs about 2 to 3 sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 stems fresh rosemary (each about 6 inches long)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (or cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- In an 8-quart stockpot, melt the butter and oil together over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, rosemary and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the rosemary stems.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and maple syrup.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep the soup warm over low heat until ready to serve.
- Cook's Note: The soup can also be pureed by ladling, in batches, into a food processor or blender and blended until smooth.