1/1 Photo of Giada's Chicken Spezzatino (stew)
This Italian stew makes a great, filling, healthy supper. Serve with biscuits to dip in. Adapted from Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 14 1/2 ounces chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 chicken breasts, with ribs (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1Saute celery, carrots and onion in a large saucepan/stockpot in oil over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in salt, pepper, tomatoes, broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme.
- 3Add chicken breasts with ribs and press them down to submerge under the liquid and bring liquid to a simmer.
- 4Reduce heat and gently simmer the chicken, turning them over often for about 20 minutes, or until chicken breasts are almost cooked through.
- 5Add kidney beans and simmer for 10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- 6Take chicken out of saucepan and let cool 5 minutes, then cut chicken into bite-size pieces and discard bones and skin.
- 7Discard bay leaf and put chicken pieces back into stew and bring back to a simmer, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Serve with biscuits for dunking and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giada's Chicken Spezzatino (stew)
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.9
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 1036.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 24.3 g