1/3 Photos of Giada De Laurentiis's Garlic and Citrus Chicken
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Kerry Ciulla's Note:
I watched Giada make this on a recent episode of "Everyday Italian" on the Food Network. It is SO GOOD and pretty easy to prepare. She made the Penne with Spinach Sauce to go with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens, neck and giblets discarded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- kitchen string or butcher kitchen twine
- 1Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- 2Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 3Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning. Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).
- 4Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Strain into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce. Serve the chicken with the pan sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giada De Laurentiis's Garlic and Citrus Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.8
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 178.2 mg
- Sodium 208.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 45.7 g