Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is a traditional combination in Italy and makes a wonderful full-meal salad. Tuna packed in oil, though hard to find anymore, makes a difference in this salad. Try it at least once this way! You may want to chill the ingredients somewhat in the refrigerator before assembling salad.
Top Review by parech
This is directly from Giada's Everyday Italian cookbook; I love it so much it's a go-to. It is moist, savory, filling, and absolutely delicious, and a foodie friend of mine agrees.
- 2 (6 ounce) cansdark meat tuna in olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup capers
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaf, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, add tuna and oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. With a fork, break up the tuna.
- Add the beans and onions and gently toss.
- Drizzle with vinegar and season with more salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to plates and serve.
- Note: This may be served over fresh arugula, about 1/2 cup per plate.