Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Everyday Italian, Episode: Vegetarian Italian. Haven't tried this as yet but I can't wait to try. UPDATE: 10/18/2009 - am trying to get them to put these on the menu for the Café Ponce.Since the home is almost all Cuban - I still would like these for the few of us who love these mushrooms. ;) I have used less oil for the recipe - 1 1/2 T of olive oil and I sprayed the grill pan with cooking spray. Why not try it?
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing the grill pan
- 4 -6 portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil on the grill to prevent the mushrooms from sticking.
- Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Place the grilled mushrooms on top of the marinara sauce and top with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses and top with the butter pieces.
- Bake until the cheese melts and the top is golden, about 15 minutes.
This recipe is truly a hidden gem. I absolutely love it; from the idea, to the ease of preparation, and of course the taste. I wish I had made more because everyone loved it equally: the meat lovers (me), and the vegetarians. Thank you very much!
Delicious! Mushroom parm is the best!!! I love Giada and her recipes. Thanks for posting!
delicious meal. very simple, which was even better. followed recipe using paul newman marinara sauce which seemed to go well with the mushrooms. i did grill the mushrooms as directed, but i think next time i will sautee them in olive oil first as i like the texture of the mushrooms better when they are sauteed. i scaled it down to 2 mushrooms as it was just for me, and i served it with a side of barilla pasta. this is a delicious meal that is pretty healthy too. i will make this again; thanks for sharing.