1/6 Photos of Ghormeh Sabzi - Persian Green Stew
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
An exquisite Iranian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless lamb stewing meat (cut into 3/4-inch cubes) or 2 lbs boneless beef roast (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 dried limes or 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup kidney bean (canned is fine)
- 1 large potato, diced (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup garlic chives, finely chopped (tareh)
- 1/4 cup fenugreek seeds, finely chopped (also called shanbelileh) (optional)
- 1Trim meat and cut into 3/4" cubes.
- 2Fry onion over medium heat in half of the oil until golden.
- 3Add turmeric and fry for 2 more minutes.
- 4Increase heat, add meat cubes and stir over high heat until meat changes color and begins to turn brown.
- 5Reduce heat.
- 6Add water, drained kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Cover and simmer gently for about an hour or until meat is tender.
- 8Fry potatoes over high heat in the remaining oil until lightly browned.
- 9Add to sauce, leaving oil in the pan.
- 10Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 11Add prepared vegetables to frying pan and fry over medium heat until wilted.
- 12Add to sauce, then add dried limes (or lime juice), cover and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- 13Adjust seasoning and serve with white rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ghormeh Sabzi - Persian Green Stew
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.9
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 98.4 mg
- Sodium 207.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: