Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Next best thing to a Hot Fudge Sundae from Ghirardelli Square! These make a great gift.
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, baking bars (broken into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate and butter.
- In a medium sized skillet, bring 1/2 inch of water to a slow simmer. Set the saucepan in the skillet over low heat. Stir mixture just until chocolate has completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a shallow bowl. Cool, cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Pour the cocoa into a pie plate. Line an airtight container with waxed paper. Dip a melon baller or small spoon into a glass of warm water and quickly scrape across the surface of the chilled truffle mixture to form a rough 1-inch ball. Drop the ball into the cocoa.
- Repeat with the remaining truffle mixture. Gently shake the pie plate to coat truffles evenly.
- Transfer truffles to the prepared container, separating layers with additional waxed paper. Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 weeks, or freeze up to 3 months.
Dark and bittersweet, fabulous but easy basic recipe!
I have been making this Ghirardelli recipe for years and it is to die for! Sometimes I add a splash of liquor or vanilla extract. Glad to see this is posted!