Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From Ghirardelli's web site. Toffee is the best!
Top Review by Lilysgarden
I use this recipe every year, I add the pretzel chips to the pan before I pour the toffee, this add a new crunch and salty flavor. I top with toasted buttered almonds. I make for gifts and profit.i triple the recipe and pour onto a sheet pan. I expediate the process by putting in my freezer to set up while still in the pan. Great recipe, great chocolate, makes for wonderful presents.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, baking bar (60% Cacao)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Toast the chopped pecans on a baking sheet in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes, or until fragrant.
- With heavy-duty aluminum foil, form a 10-inch square shell with 1-inch high sides.
- Place the foil shell on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the butter, sugar, water, and salt over medium heat until the temperature reaches 305F (hard-crack stage), stirring occasionally (watch closely after it reaches 290F because the temperature will increase rapidly).
- When the mixture becomes dark golden brown, immediately remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into the foil shell. It will spread but may not reach the edges of the square.
- Cool at room temperature for 45 minutes, or until hard.
- Melt the chocolate according to instructions on the side of package. Spread melted chocolate over the cooled toffee, and sprinkle with the pecans, pressing lightly to set pecans into chocolate.
- Let set at room temperature 1 hour, or until the chocolate is set.
- Break toffee into pieces. Store covered at room temperature for up to 1 month.