Recipe by Molidol
I found this on Ghirardelli's website. It is my families most favorite chocolate cake of all time. When I make this for my husband I can have anything I want!! This sends him into chocolate euphoria. Eat at your own risk! ;)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ghirardelli's ground sweet chocolate, and cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, baking bar (Ghirardelli's 100% Cacao)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup milk (I use 2% milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment paper. I've also been "lazy" and used one 9x13 cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the four, ground chocolate, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add 1 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of butter.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the pans, discard the parchment paper, and transfer them to the wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate (broken into pieces) in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dissolve the instant coffee granules in the boiling water.
- Stir coffee mixture into the chocolate then remove from heat and set aside. NOTE: this mixture does have a tendency to seize up, but don’t worry, when it’s added to the rest of the frosting and mixed in, it comes out just fine.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the 2/3 cup butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Frost your cake.
- Induce chocolate nirvana!