1 hr 30 mins
I found this on Ghirardelli's website. It is my families most favorite chocolate cake of all time. When I make this for my husband I can have anything I want!! This sends him into chocolate euphoria. Eat at your own risk! ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups ghirardelli's ground sweet chocolate, and cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Grease the bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment paper. I've also been "lazy" and used one 9x13 cake pan.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, combine the four, ground chocolate, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- 5Add 1 cup of the buttermilk and 1 cup of butter.
- 6Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- 7Add the remaining ½ cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 8Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans.
- 9Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
- 10Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 11Remove cakes from the pans, discard the parchment paper, and transfer them to the wire rack to cool completely.
- 13Melt the chocolate (broken into pieces) in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- 14Dissolve the instant coffee granules in the boiling water.
- 15Stir coffee mixture into the chocolate then remove from heat and set aside. NOTE: this mixture does have a tendency to seize up, but don’t worry, when it’s added to the rest of the frosting and mixed in, it comes out just fine.
- 16In a large mixing bowl, beat the 2/3 cup butter until fluffy.
- 17Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth.
- 18Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- 19Frost your cake.
- 20Induce chocolate nirvana!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ghirardelli Devil’s Food Cake With Mocha Buttercream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1072.4
- Calories from Fat 592
- Total Fat 65.8 g
- Saturated Fat 40.2 g
- Cholesterol 280.9 mg
- Sodium 697.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 76.2 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: