Recipe by Aparna Anurag
Ghevar is a Rajasthani sweet traditionally associated with the Teej Festival. It is disc-shaped, and made from oil, flour and sugar syrup. There are many varieties of Ghevar, including plain, mawa and malai ghevar.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sugar syrup.
- Combine the sugar,cardamom powder and water in a pan and simmer till it reaches a 1 string consistency.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Process for ghevar.
- Combine the flour, corn flour,edible color and melted ghee in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of water in a thin stream, whisking continuously taking care to see that an emulsion is formed and the water and ghee do not separate.
- Add 2 more cups of water again in a thin stream while whisking continuously. At no point should the ghee and water separate.
- The batter should be of a coating consistency. More water can be added if required to achieve the required consistency.
- Keep the batter in a cool place away from the heat.
- Place the ghevar mould in a kadhai and pour melted ghee in it till it reaches 3/4 of the height of the mould.
- Remove 2 ladles of the batter at a time into a small bowl and place it near the gas range.
- Heat the ghee on a medium flame and put in one spoonful of the batter into the mould in a thin stream. The batter should settle in the mould.
- When the froth subsides, pour in another spoonful in the centre in a thin stream.
- Repeat seven times making a hole in the centre of the ghevar using a wooden skewer stick. Pour the batter into this centre each time.
- Increase the flame and allow it to cook in the centre by pouring ladlefuls of hot ghee in the centre of the mould 2 or 3 times.
- When the center is firm and cooked, pull the ghevar out gently, by inserting a wooden skewer in the centre and pulling it out of the ghee.
- Immerse in sugar syrup, drain quickly and place on a serving plate.
- Repeat steps 7 to 13 and use the remaining batter to make 24 ghevars.
- Serve the ghevar with rabdi topping,garnish with almonds,pistachio.