Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup solidified ghee
- 3 -4 ice cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 kg ghee (for deep frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, rub in milk
- Prepare sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency.
- (Refer features for procedure of syrup) Take solidified ghee in a large wide bowl.
- Taking one icecube at a time rub the ghee vigourously.
- Take more icecubes as required, till ghee becomes very white.
- Add milk, flour and 1 cup water.
- Mix to make smooth batter.
- Dissolve colour in some water and add to batter.
- Add more water as required.
- Batter should be fairly thin (it should run offeasily when pour from spoon).
- Take an aluminium or steel cylindrical container (do not use lid).
- The height should be at least 12".
- And diameter 5-6".
- Fill half with ghee.
- When ghee is smoky hot, take a 50 ml, glassful of batter.
- Pour in centre of ghee, slowly in one continuous threadlike stream.
- Allow foam to settle.
- Pour one more glassful in hole formed in centre.
- When foam settles again, loosen ghevar with an iron skewer inserted in hole.
- Lift carefully, at a slant, and place on wire mesh to drain.
- Keep hot syrup in a wide flatbottomed container to fit in ghevar.
- Dip ghevar in it, and remove, keep aside on mesh to drain excess syrup.
- Pour some syrup evenly all over, keeping ghevar in a mesh placed over a container.
- Cool a little, top with silver foil.
- Splash a few drops of saffron milk, sprinkle some chopped dryfruit and a few pinches of cardamom powder.
- Variation: One may also top ghevar with rabri prepared in advance.
- This ghevar will howver not last as Long.
- It will also be softer.