Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From today's City Times newspaper. This is a Sri Lankan speciality that goes well with Cashew and Greenpeas curry(posted separately).
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, soaked in water
- 1⁄4 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 -5 fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 5 cardamoms
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and sliced, for garnish
- 3 -5 slices onions, fried, for garnish
- Heat the ghee and oil in a pot.
- Add in the onions, fenugreek leaves, chicken/vegetable/beef boullion cube, curry leaves and cardamoms.
- Fry for a few minutes till the onions are lightly golden brown, the fenugreek leaves are softened and the tantalising aroma of the cardamoms' fills the air in your kitchen.
- Add the drained rice and mint leaves.
- Mix well; careful not to break any rice grain.
- Cook till the rice gets cooked.
- Garnish with fried onions and the sliced tomato.
- Cover with aluminium foil and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot!
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable bouillon cubes.
Tried this tonight, went great with chicken curry. The rice is very aromatic and flavorful. Guaranteed to be on my list to cook in the future.