Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
From today's City Times newspaper. This is a Sri Lankan speciality that goes well with Cashew and Greenpeas curry(posted separately).
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, soaked in water
- 1⁄4 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 -5 fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 5 cardamoms
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and sliced, for garnish
- 3 -5 slices onions, fried, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the ghee and oil in a pot.
- Add in the onions, fenugreek leaves, chicken/vegetable/beef boullion cube, curry leaves and cardamoms.
- Fry for a few minutes till the onions are lightly golden brown, the fenugreek leaves are softened and the tantalising aroma of the cardamoms' fills the air in your kitchen.
- Add the drained rice and mint leaves.
- Mix well; careful not to break any rice grain.
- Cook till the rice gets cooked.
- Garnish with fried onions and the sliced tomato.
- Cover with aluminium foil and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot!
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable bouillon cubes.