Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Sourced from www.celtnet.org.uk and posted for ZWT 7.
- 1 (2 5/8 kg) chicken
- 450 g cooked sweet potatoes or 450 g yams
- 1 onion, finely-chopped
- 1 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and finely chopped
- 50 g peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 60 g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the chicken. Set aside.
- Combine the sweet potatoes (or yams) with the onion, tomato, peanuts, eggs, garlic, salt, thyme, hot sauce and melted butter.
- Stuff the bird with the mixture (stuff both the body cavity and the neck). Cross the legs in fromt of the body opening and tie with butcher's twine. Fold the neck skin over the back of the bird and secure with a strong toothpick.
- Spread the bird with butter, season with salt and pepper then place on a metal rack in a baking pan. Roast in an oven pre-heated to 160°C for 45 minuites, then turn the bird the other way round and roast for a further 45 minutes .