Recipe by Jamie B
Here's a fairly traditional, creamy tuna casserole. I adapted this recipe from Tara's Recipezaar Tuna Casserole to make it gluten free and mild. You can try more onion and pepper if you're not a spice wimp like (pregnant) me. I included notes to help people new to gluten-free cooking and shopping.
- 8 ounces shaped gluten-free pasta (like Ancient Harvest Quinoa Wheat Free or Bionature Gluten Free)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of celery soup, not condensed (like Health Valley, at Wild Oats. Avoid modified food starch and "flavorings.")
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (like Smart Balance. Avoid modified food starch and "flavorings.")
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery or 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄4 small onion
- 4 ounces mushrooms, drained if canned. (optional. Avoid "flavorings.") (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained (avoid "flavorings")
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta until al dente. (Watch carefully; it may take significantly more or less time than the package says.).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup cheese in a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.