Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mac n' cheese was one of my favourite dishes before I had to go GF (gluten-free) and DF (dairy free). So, for Valentines Day, my boyfriend and I decided to make some that we could both enjoy (he doesn't have food restrictions). I took 3 recipes, combined and tweaked them and we were pretty happy with the results, so here they are! The servings are based on a meal with minimal side dishes.
- 1 lb gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs, well beaten but not foamy
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine (be sure it's also gluten free)
- 8 ounces meltable vegan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Cook the macaroni a little less than you would like them to be at the end (just taste them periodically until you are satisfied).
- Meanwhile, whisk together the beaten eggs, the paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion, mustard powder and black pepper.
- Add the soy milk and whisk until smooth.
- When the pasta is ready, drain but don't rinse them.
- Put them back in the pot on med-low heat and add the margarine, stirring until melted.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the pasta, stir a couple times and add the Daiya and salt.
- Keep stirring until the shreds are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Spread the pasta in a glass or pyrex baking dish (I used 2 small ones but a 9"X13" might work) and cover with the breadcrumbs.
- Put in the oven, bake for 20 minutes.
- If desired, switch to the broiler at the very end, watching closely, to get a golden topping.
- Enjoy! This makes amazing leftovers, perhaps even better than the fresh meal.