Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, unbleached, unsifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- Cream butter, shortening, and brown sugar thoroughly.
- Blend in egg and molasses.
- Sift together the remaining ingredients.
- Stir into sugar mixture.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls.
- Place 2-inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Flatten each ball with the bottom of a glass that has been greased and dipped into sugar.
- Bake in preheated 350°F for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool cookies on racks and store in airtight tins.