Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe comes from Dr. Oetker and is very, very good. It gets better and better as the cookies age and the taste is just wonderful. I think these cookies bring instant Christmas spirit to even the most uncheerful person. ;) I hope you like them as much as we do! Note: These need to chill for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl knead butter, sugar and vanilla sugar with the dough hooks of your electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Stir in milk.
- In a second bowl mix flour, ground almonds, baking powder and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and knead into a smooth dough. You might have to get your hands in to finish the job. ;).
- Form into a log of 30 cm/ 11 inches length and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Slice log into 5 mm/0.2 inch thick slices.
- Place on a paper lined baking sheet and press one almond into the middle of each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 12 minutes or slightly browned around the edges.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These will keep for about 3 weeks in an airtight container.
I loved these cookies! I had guests coming and even though I had intentions of taking pictures, there were no leftovers! Made exactly as written, except they were in the fridge overnight. I think they would make great drop cookies too. (i.e. skip the chilling part and just go for spoonfuls on the baking sheet.)
Aussie Swap #61 - these German cookies are outstanding and the spice combination is to die for!