1/1 Photo of Gewürzte Schweinsrippchen (Braised Spicy Spareribs)
2 hrs 25 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Traditional recipe from Bavaria, Germany and Salzburg, Austria region. From an old newspaper clipping in my grandmother's recipe box.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs spareribs, cracked through center
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion (chopped into quarters or large pieces)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1Cut ribs into serving sized pieces. Coat meat evenly with mixture of flour, salt and pepper using paper bag method.
- 2Melt in heavy skillet the shortening and add ribs. Brown slowly on both sides. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3While meat is browning, Mix into stock ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, celery salt, cayenne pepper, cloves, allspice, bay leaf and garlic. If using vegetable stock, add 6 tbsp Worcestershire sauce instead of 3 tablespoons.
- 4Put meat into roasting pan and pour stock mixture over browned ribs. Add onion to pan.
- 5Cover and bake at 350°F for about 1 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender.
- 6With a slotted spoon, remove ribs and onion from pan onto a warm serving platter. Set platter back into cooling oven.
- 7Skim excess fat from cooking liquid and strain cooking liquid into small saucepan.
- 8Put into a 1 pint screw-top jar 1/4 cup cold water and the 2 tbsp flour. Cover jar tightly and shake until mixture is well blended.
- 9Bring liquid in saucepan to boiling, stirring constantly. Slowly pour one half flour liquid into saucepan stirring constantly. Bring back to boiling. Add remaining flour liquid as needed to make desired consistency. Bring to boil after each addition. Cook 3 to 5 min additional.
- 10Taking the platter from oven, spoon or pour half of sauce over ribs and onions and serve remaining sauce as gravy.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gewürzte Schweinsrippchen (Braised Spicy Spareribs)
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1334.9
- Calories from Fat 885
- Total Fat 98.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.3 g
- Cholesterol 365.6 mg
- Sodium 1476.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 90.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: