Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Dutch stuffed onions.
- 6 large onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated gouda cheese
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup beef bouillon
- Cut tops off the onions and scoop out the insides, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell.
- Cook onion shells 5 minutes in boiling salted water; invert on a plate to drain.
- Chop the insides of the onion finely and saute in 2 Tbs of the butter over very low heat 10 minutes.
- Mix the sauteed onions with the pork through fresh ground pepper and use mixture to stuff the onions.
- Top each onion with 1 Tbs grated cheese and dot with 1 tsp of butter.
- Place onions in a shallow baking dish and add broth.
- Bake at 400F 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the broth.
Tagging this recipe was not a random choice. DH & I have a friend (freq dinner guest & very picky eater) who happens to love onions, so I am always looking for recipes he might enjoy. This was a taste test tag in advance of a birthday dinner for him next mo & my bet is he will give it 2 thumbs up. The prep humbled me a bit, but I suspect mostly because I was inept. I destroyed the 1st onion trying to scoop out the onion pulp to create the shell & compromised by halving the onions & mounding the stuffing in the halves. This method eliminated the parboiling step out of necessity, so they were entirely oven-baked. I have to be careful topping dishes w/cheese in my convection oven, so I added it (a cheddar & mozzarella mix I subbed) w/10 min left of the cooking time. Despite my chgs, DH & I loved the very flavourful outcome. Pls see my rating system - a very worthy 4*. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.