Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My very Dutch mother's recipe for this Dutch classic which is usually made in time for Saint Nicolaas or for Christmas. There may be more to this recipe - I got this off a piece of paper sitting in another cookbook and it looks like a quick translation from somewhere. It's one of those recipes that I make by sight but I haven't made it for a couple of years.
- almonds, spice (see recipe for amandelspijs, 2 batches)
- 200 g flour
- 150 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar or 100 g brown sugar
- Line the square cake tin[?9 inch].
- Mix all the ingredients except for the almond spice together.
- Divide the speculaas mix into two and press the first amount into the bottom of the tin.
- Add the almond spice on top and then cover this with a layer of speculaas from the second amount of speculaas.
- Decorate with almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a moderate oven[350F/180C].
Once again a recipe that is close to what mum used to make. It is a very easy recipe and I know I will be making it often.