Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This Romanian recipe proves that a meatless stew can be hearty and satisfying. It also makes delicious leftovers, serve them over rice are noodles. There are a bunch of ingredients but its worth it in the end.
- 1⁄2 Spanish onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium white skinned boiling potato, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, halved and cut in 1-inch pieces (8 oz.)
- 1⁄4 medium head green cabbage, cut in 1-inch pieces (6 oz.)
- 3 ounces white mushrooms, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 medium celery rib, cut in 1-inch slices (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 medium cauliflower, cut in large florets (about 12-13 florets or 1 1/4 lb.)
- 1⁄2 small eggplant, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups shelled fresh lima beans (not baby limas) or 1 1⁄4 cups frozen lima beans (not baby limas)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
- In large Dutch oven, layer vegetables and seasonings in the following order: onion, garlic, white potato, sweet potato, cabbage, mushrooms, bay leaf, carrots, celery, bell pepper, cauliflower, eggplant, lima beans, parsley, green beans and tomatoes.
- Dissolve tomato paste and paprika in tomato juice.
- Stir in oregano.
- Pour over vegetables.
- Cover and bring liquid to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
Being a vegetarian and seeing a dish with this name I had to give it a try. It's awesome and i took the leftovers to work. My two meat eater pals loved it too. I will make this again soon...........!!!