Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I make this when I'm feeling run down--it's chock-full of potassium, vitamin C and protein. Increasing or decreasing the spice level is easy--use a hotter or milder chili powder, more or less jalapeno, different varietals of bell pepper. Freezes well.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded and minced fine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (use green for spicier chili, red for mellower, yellow for a touch of sweetness)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dark beer (stout or porter, several available brands are vegan. Guinness is not.) or 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup textured vegetable protein
- Heat oil in frying pan, add onion and jalapeno. Saute until onion is almost transparent, add garlic and saute one minute more. Remove from heat.
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT TVP in crock pot. Stir well.
- Cook on low heat 6-8 hours or medium/high 4-6 hours.
- Add TVP 15 minutes prior to serving, stir in very well.
Delicious and spicy. Made heaps! I used 2 jalapenos, a small red thai chilli, and about 2 cups 'sweet' horn chillies instead of peppers. Only 1 & 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder, some paprika and 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa. The heat level was perfect for me, with a good kick! Neglected the TVP, but will use next time for extra texture. I will make this again, thanks for posting!
Used 1/2 jalepeno, no lentils on hand so used 1/2cup brown rice, reduced amount of chili pepper used to 2 teaspoons...overflowing maple syrup tablespoon but it was still a little too spicy. Will make again but tone it down some more. Forgot the TVP but it was fine without it.