Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
His family's like the US. My family's like the UN. I was trying to cook and my boyfriend kept up an unwelcome commentary on on everything from how I should chop the vegetables to what I was adding to the dish. This eventually resulted in an uncharacteristically NON-peacekeeping move to banish him from the kitchen that night. The chowder was served soon after. We were able to reconcile. It's that good.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups peeled & cubed potatoes (1/2-inch)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 15 ounces corn (drained)
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon
- In skillet, combine oil, onion & garlic until tender.
- Add stock, milk, potatoes, bay leaf, mustard, thyme, pepper, & salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat & transfer to crock pot.
- Add corn & cream of chicken soup.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove & discard bay leaf.
- Using a ladle, transfer about 1/2 the solids to a blender or food processor & puree.
- Return puree to crock pot.
- Cut Canadian bacon into slivers and add to pot.
- Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.
- * You can substitute the cream of chicken with "Cream of _____" recipe #57287.