Recipe by lesliecoy
Every Fall my friend would invite all of the Bargain Shop crew to her house for a Brat Dinner. She has passed on, but every Fall I remember her and celebrate with her German Potato Salad. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do . The one thing that Gertrude stressed - do not finish this recipe until you are just about ready to serve.
- 2 lbs potatoes (Gertrude boiled hers, I microwave mine until almost done )
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour (plus a little more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I use splenda)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil or Microwave potatoes, let cool and then peel and dice.
- Fry the bacon, stirring until nearly crisp. Add onions and green peppers and cook until onions are golden.
- Combine 1/4 cup (+) of water with the flour , add the remaining ingredients and blend well. Then stir in with the bacon mixture.
- Wait until you are just about ready to serve :Pour mixture over the potatoes and toss well, but gently. This should not sit longer than 15 minutes before serving, otherwise you will need to add more liquid. I found an extra 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 tsp flour works.
- NOTE :Times vary for prep and cooking - so just guessing.