Recipe by NoraMarie
I have never made this but have Woman's Day Cookbook and it's in it. Looks good.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
WOW! NoraMarie this is a delicious soup recipe! True comfort food at its best and perfect for a cold winter's day. Served it with whole grain bread for a wonderful lunch.My DD made it while DH and I were out running errands and it smelled so good when we arrived home. Made in memory of Nora's DH Ed.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup medium barley
- 1 celery, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in heavy saucepan.
- Sauté onions, celery, and barley in it.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Gradually stir in hot broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until barley is very tender.
- Remove from heat and add cream.