Recipe by Miheehee
Ger makes the best Brown Bread and I finally got the recipe (and promptly modified it to pair down the ingredient list and raise the percentage of whole wheat flour).
- 709.77 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml steel cut oats
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18-591.47 ml buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add milk until slightly sticky.
- Mix minimally, just enough for a raggy texture. DON'T KNEAD!
- Shape into a circle, 2 inches tall, and place on floured cookie sheet.
- Cut deep cross into the top with a sharp, floured knife.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a rap to the bottom sounds hollow.
- **note** technique is key with soda bread. This is one of those instances where YouTube is a better medium than a written recipe. I highly suggest you watch some video tutorials before attempting soda bread for the first time.