Recipe by auntchelle
A wonderfully easy, low-fat, moist fruitcake. High in fibre. Recipe given to me by a gym instructor about 15 years ago. Make 2 cakes (1 small & 1 larger). Needs overnight soaking. Freezes well.
Top Review by Tisme
Very nice, moist, light fruit cake. And... WOW low fat also!!! I made this for DH to take to work, and he loved it. I am not going to get a chance to freeze this cake as the kids love it also....sssshhh they dont know its good for them!!!! I made exactly as per recipe, and it turned out fantastic!! Such an easy recipe to make. Will be making this again often...Thanks Mischka, great recipe.
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit
- 375 ml stout beer
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together cereal, sugar, fruit and stout. Leave to soak overnight.
- Next day: Preheat oven to moderate (180 deg Cel). Grease well (important) 1 round and 1 log tin.
- Stir spices, egg and SR flour into soaked fruit. Mix until combined.
- Put mixture into tins and bake for 30-40 minutes. Top may need covering with foil towards the end to protect fruit. Cool in tin.
- To freeze, double wrap in plastic wrap.