Recipe by Lazy Cook N+1
Easy, tasty, and nutritious - one of my better creations! I keep the simple ingredients in my pantry, so it's an easy out when I need dinner in a hurry.
Top Review by ctrmom
Used kraut with carrots and beets. Boiled my own diced potatoes and mixed with the dill, sour cream, and 8 oz. of grated smoked Gouda that I needed to use up. Diced up some leftover homemade onion rings for the topping. Soo good. Thanks for inspiring me!
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced beets
- 1 (14 ounce) cansliced potatoes
- 1⁄2 large onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sausage
- 1 teaspoon dill weed (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large casserole dish.
- Drain the sauerkraut and spread it on the bottom.
- Slice the sausage into "pennies", and arrange the slices on top of the kraut. I use turkey kielbasa, but any tasty sausage will work.
- Drain the beets, and arrange them on top of the sausage.
- Sprinkle the dill weed over the beets, and top with sour cream.
- Steam or fry the sliced onion lightly, and arrange that over the beets. The dried fried onions I get from the oriental market work well also.
- Drain the potatoes and spread them over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or microwave on High for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover, top with Swiss cheese, and bake another 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted.