Recipe by Lainey39
Zwiebelkuchen is an onion pie from Swabia, in south-central Germany. It is a special time of year, in the fall, when the mom & pop winemakers will open a BasinWirtschaft in their barn or garage. This recipe is from All Recipes.
- 6 lbs onions, sliced
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 recipes 9" pastry pie shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a jelly-roll pan or large pizza pan with prepared dough, making sure dough extends up sides of pan.
- Saute onion in a until translucent and pour cooked onion into a large mixing bowl.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, chop and add to onion; mix well.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Beat eggs enough to break up yolks, then mix in to pie mixture.
- Add flour to thicken mixture (onions will create a lot of water), then add salt. Mix well and pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top with caraway seed.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until onions start to turn golden brown on top.