1/2 Photos of German Zwiebelkuchen (Onion Pie)
Zwiebelkuchen is an onion pie from Swabia, in south-central Germany. It is a special time of year, in the fall, when the mom & pop winemakers will open a BasinWirtschaft in their barn or garage. This recipe is from All Recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- 2Line a jelly-roll pan or large pizza pan with prepared dough, making sure dough extends up sides of pan.
- 3Saute onion in a until translucent and pour cooked onion into a large mixing bowl.
- 4Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- 5Drain, chop and add to onion; mix well.
- 6Stir in sour cream.
- 7Beat eggs enough to break up yolks, then mix in to pie mixture.
- 8Add flour to thicken mixture (onions will create a lot of water), then add salt. Mix well and pour mixture into prepared pan.
- 9Sprinkle top with caraway seed.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until onions start to turn golden brown on top.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Zwiebelkuchen (Onion Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.9
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 111.8 mg
- Sodium 361.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 9.0 g