Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Zwiebelkuchen is an onion pie from Swabia, in south-central Germany. It is a special time of year, in the fall, when the mom & pop winemakers will open a BasinWirtschaft in their barn or garage. This recipe is from All Recipes.
- 6 lbs onions, sliced
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 recipes 9" pastry pie shells
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a jelly-roll pan or large pizza pan with prepared dough, making sure dough extends up sides of pan.
- Saute onion in a until translucent and pour cooked onion into a large mixing bowl.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, chop and add to onion; mix well.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Beat eggs enough to break up yolks, then mix in to pie mixture.
- Add flour to thicken mixture (onions will create a lot of water), then add salt. Mix well and pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top with caraway seed.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until onions start to turn golden brown on top.
Amazing! I just love this savory pie. And you must must must use the Caraway seed - it adds a very special flavor.
Made as a *pressie* for the Dec Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap & Dec Photo Forum International X-Mas Foods & Customs events ~ This recipe took me back to a time growing up when we were blessed w/the influence of my Great-Uncle Emil Placek who married into our Irish family & taught us to appreciate the food of Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), Germany & Poland. The use of onion, sour cream & caraway seed are common to many delicious recipes in these countries & this lived up to my memories. I made my own crust using Shortcrust Pastry by ImPat, halved the recipe, made it in a 10-in rd baking dish (perfect) & it easily made 8-10 generous servings for Christmas Eve dinner ~ so 2 pies would serve at least 16 as a side-dish IMO & improve the nutritional data even more. This is an easy-fix that cuts easily & is definitely comfort food for the onion lovers among us. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)