German deli. Posted by request. Garlic is optional. Some German Krautsalat recipes do not have garlic at all.
- Cut the bacon into tiny bits.
- Fry it in a big deep frying pan and fish out all the bits after they are crisp.
- Cut up the onion and garlic and fry them in the bacon fat.
- When they are brown, pour in the vinegar.
- Bring it just up to a simmer, add all the cabbage and bacon, toss it as you would a salad, and serve it.
- The cabbage doesn't cook, but it wilts a little under the hot vinegar.