Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from the "Best of Friends" cookbook, this hearty casserole takes the tradional German caraway rye bread and Swiss cheese and combines them with hard boiled eggs, that are traditionally eaten with German beer. This can be made earlier and then baked later.
- 1 cup sliced white onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground is the best
- 6 slices dark caraway rye bread, buttered and cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook onion in butter just until tender.
- Transfer to 12x8 baking dish.
- Divide the egg slices evenly over the onion/butter mixture.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Beat remaining ingredients except the bread together in a large bowl well mixed.
- Pour this over the cheese.
- At this point you can refrigerate overnite but this is not necessary.
- To finish, add the bread slices by overlapping them on top of the casserole.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until heated through.
- If refrigerated overnite add the bread slices just before baking and bake an additional 10 minutes.