Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I grew up with this side dish. My aunts told me the recipe "came over with the boat" Years ago, the only tomatoes you could get were plain,either fresh and canned.This is not for everyone's taste, but it grows on you.
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 teaspoon white sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute, equivilent
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced (optional)
- Empty tomatoes and juice into medium saucepan. Add onions. Cook on low until onions are tender.
- Break apart the toast, small pieces. Add to tomatoes and onions.
- Add sugar and allspice. Stir until blended.
- Cook about five minutes.
- Note: If you want to add diced green pepper, add when you cook the onions and add 1/3 cup water.
This is comfort food to me! I grew up with this thanks to my witto mommy and gigi. My son absolutely raves about this as well. Thanks mamasan!