Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posted by request. I am sharing this at the request of a member. This may be an acquired taste for some. Translated from a recipe found on a German website.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 40 g all-purpose flour
- hot water, as needed
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, to taste
- 4 -6 eggs, cooked any way you like them
- 2 -3 potatoes, peeled, sliced, cooked
- Heat the oil in a skillet and have ready a cup or two of hot water.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until brown, stirring constantly--be careful not to burn the flour.
- Add a small amount of hot water to the pan, whisking well, to create a sauce-like consistency, adding and whisking as needed.
- Whisk together the vinegar and the sugar, then add as much or as little to the sauce as you like (taste and adjust if necessary).
- Cook eggs however you like them (pan fried, hard boiled, etc) and serve with the sauce and some potatoes, if desired.
This unfortunately did not work out for me at all. I was unable to achieve a smooth sauce with a well balanced flavor and texture, despite measuring carefully and adding lots of hot water in small batches. I also was greatly disappointed in the flavor. I had orignally shared this recipe for a request, but asked the Elves to remove it from my account because I had such poor results once I tried it. Perhaps you will have more luck than I did at improving this - I cannot recommend the current version.