Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I grew up on this. This is my mother's recipe, and it has been a "requested" dish at every family party and picnic.
- Cook cabbage in water for 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Fry bacon and remove from pan; Add onion and saute until limp, 3-5 minutes.
- Add sugar and flour to bacon fat; blend until smooth.
- Add water, vinegar, and seasonings; cook until thick.
- Add diced bacon, and cabbage.
- Heat through.
- If bland, add more salt, sugar, or vinegar, whichever is needed.
Loved this red cabbage dish. It is so festive and just the right balance between sweet and sour. We will definitely have this again -- next time with some Brats!!! Thanks for the post. Made for the Diabetic Forum - Octoberfest Tag, October, 2011.
I made this for supper tonight and my husband loved it. Reminded him of a dish his mother made. Has a nice balance of sweet and sour. I also served this with grilled brats and will definitely be making this again!
I've made this several times. It's great. Sometimes I add the flour sometimes I don't. It works well either way. Wonderful side for grilled brauts or just about anything except spaghetti.