Recipe by papergoddess
I grew up on this. This is my mother's recipe, and it has been a "requested" dish at every family party and picnic.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Loved this red cabbage dish. It is so festive and just the right balance between sweet and sour. We will definitely have this again -- next time with some Brats!!! Thanks for the post. Made for the Diabetic Forum - Octoberfest Tag, October, 2011.
- 5 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cabbage in water for 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Fry bacon and remove from pan; Add onion and saute until limp, 3-5 minutes.
- Add sugar and flour to bacon fat; blend until smooth.
- Add water, vinegar, and seasonings; cook until thick.
- Add diced bacon, and cabbage.
- Heat through.
- If bland, add more salt, sugar, or vinegar, whichever is needed.