1 hr 15 mins
Delicious fluffy moist cake with a caramelly, coconut, nut topping. A hit at my house.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate (I have used good quality semi sweet)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1Melt chocolate in boiling water. Cool.
- 2Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 3Add yolks one at a time beating well after each.
- 4Blend in vanilla and chocolate.
- 5Sift flour with soda and salt. Add aternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture beating after each addition until smooth.
- 6Fold in beaten egg whites.
- 7Pour equal amounts into three 9-inch layer pans that have been buttered and floured.
- 8Bake at 350F for 30 - 35 minutes.
- 9Cool on wire rack.
- 10Topping: Cook all ingredients except coconut and pecans. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes.
- 11Then stir in flaked coconut and chopped pecans.
- 12Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
- 13Use to top and fill cooled layers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Sweet Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.8
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 178.0 mg
- Sodium 454.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 39.2 g
- Protein 8.8 g