Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy and very tasty cabbage dish!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in sliced apples and onion; saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in shredded cabbage and vinegar; mix to combine and simmer over medium-low heat.
- In a bowl mix the brown sugar and flour; add into the cabbage mixture, then add in the wine; mix to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt and lots of black pepper.
Good simple recipe. Tastes really German. Thanks for the post.
Had a october fest party at our house, everyone loved this cabbage. And it was very easy to make. We will be making this again. Thanks for the post.
I made this for 'Zaar tag and halved the recipe, which served 2 adults and 2 kids nicely. We had it with pork stroganoff and noodles. This is an easy, good, basic red cabbage dish. I normally add spices to mine, but I followed this recipe to a 'T' and I thought it turned out well. I appreciated the fact that there was plenty of wine left in the bottle to drink with dinner! Thanks Kittencal, for a dish that pleased all the family!