Recipe by Kyrashallen
This is my Mom's recipe and is a staple at all family cookouts. For a healthier version, you can substitute turkey or vegetarian bacon and olive oil for the pork bacon, however the flavor is not quite as robust.
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled cooked and sliced
- 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar (not Heinz)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon and onion. Drain off fat, reserving 2 Tablespoons drippings in pan. Add 2 Tablespoons flour to the drippings. Stir and cook until roux forms (flour is completely dissolved and bubbling). Add sugar, vinegar, water to roux. Cook and stir until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In casserole dish, combine potatoes with sauce, mixing to coat. Bake at 350 degrees 30-50 minutes.