Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This recipe came from the little book that came with my slow-cooker. It was also the first dish I made with this wondrous device. Very tasty, and if you cook on low for 10 hours you'll have hours of kitchen-filling aromas.
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 8 gingersnap cookies
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 -3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast or 2 -3 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- Put all the ingredients, except the roast, in your slow-cooker.
- Mix well.
- Add the roast and stir well to coat it.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5 hours.
Simple, no fuss, German style pot roast for your crock pot! I will reduce the amount of vinegar the next time only because I thought it was a tad over powering. I would also add carrots the next time because we enjoy it in our pot roast. I split the batch up and froze for dinners when we need a dose of comfort food! Thanks for the recipe!
This is one of my family's favorite meals. Easy for me, and delicious for them! I do add potatoes to the pot, before placing the meat, and then add carrots about half-way through the cooking time it keeps them from being over-cooked). We do not reduce the vinegar, we love the taste and it really breaks down the meat. My husband mounds sauerkraut on top, to finish his complete, German meal!