Prep 8 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Old fashioned pot roast done German style. Serve the traditional way with potatoes and noodles or sauerkraut as the side dish.
- 1360.77-1587.57 g boneless pot roast, either rump, chuck, round
- 35.43 g dry onion soup mix (or use an onion mushroom or mushroom variety to suit your taste)
- 177.44 ml water
- 354.88 ml beer
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml caraway seed
- In dutch overm brown roast over medium heat.
- Blend soup mix with water and beer.
- Mix in brown sugar and caraway seed.
- Simmer on stovetop, covered 2.5 hours or until tender.
- Thicken gravy if desired.
One word... EXCELLANT. Thats it. I got the pot really hot, browned both sides with a bit of butter, salt, pepper, and cumin (used instead of caraway seed). Added the liquids and onion soup mix, simmered for 1 hour on each side before moving it to the slow cooker for about 4 hours. DELISH. Thanks, Ken in 06614
This pot roast was excellant. Moist and tender and extremely flavourful. We enjoyed it very much. I used a malt beverage as we don't drink beer. It worked great. Thanks so much for sharing Laurie I will most definitely be making this again and again.